Just today, Yahoo published an excellent article on “8 ways to appear more authoritative“. Although this article provides general practical tips on being more authoritative, it is worthwhile for PMs, esp. in IT to take notice. (atleast I learnt few things reading thru’ this today)
1. Stand up while you’re on the phone.
2. Avoid turning statements into questions.
3. Dress the part.
4. Make eye contact.
5. Pause before hitting Send.
6. Make yourself visible at meetings.
7. Don’t lead with a disclaimer.
8. Manage your boss’s expectations.
I believe that project manager has to be assertive in addition to being authoritative also. Above all, PM has to be an excellent team-player.
You always learn something new everyday, don’t you?